Picture above is before cooking–
Ingredients (Makes one 8×8-inch square)
• 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
• 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice flour
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons ginger powder
• 11⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
• 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1⁄2 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
• 1⁄2 teaspoon orange or lemon zest (optional)
• 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
• Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Oil a 8×8-inch square baking dish.
• In a stand mixer with the paddle, combine the maple syrup and oil. (Alternatively, use a hand mixer in a large bowl.) Beat on high speed until thoroughly blended. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Be sure to beat well between eggs. Add in the orange rind and vanilla and continue to blend together. Set aside.
• In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Stir in the nuts. Add some of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time, blending well. Add in 1⁄4 cup of the applesauce, blend, then add in more flour. Continue this process until you have added all of the ingredients.
• Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the gingerbread is done. Check to see if complete by inserting a toothpick, or touching lightly on the center.
The gingerbread keeps refrigerated for up to four days and freezes well.