2 tablespoon whey
1 tablespoon sea salt
1-2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (OR 1 teaspoon dried dill)
3 cloves garlic, peeled (optional– my family loves them with this option)
- In a clean jar (you can boil your jar first if you want to but make sure completely cool or cold before any further steps are started), pack the cucumbers or gherkins in until they fill all but an inch of the jar at the top- I normally used a 1/2 gallon jar.
- Spoon the whey and sea salt over the top of the cucumbers, and cram the dill and if you used garlic cloves, down the sides of the jar.
- Pour the filtered water over the cucumbers until it fills the jar with a half an inch to spare on top. Screw on the lid tightly and gently shake to combine the salt and the water.
- Set on the counter at room temperature for 3-7 days, tasting them you desire to do so until your brine and pickles taste just as you’d like them.
- When you want to stop the fermentation process, put the jars in the fridge.